Could today be the hottest day on record in Toronto? It depends on which records you consult.
It is hot as a mother…… I think Toronto’s extreme heat wave of 38 degrees Celsius (although it feels like 49 degrees, which is about the same as the daytime temperature in Dubai, U.A.E.) will break about as many records as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Okay that might be a slight exaggeration on my part, but today might go down in history as the hottest day ever recorded in the city.
The highest temperature ever recorded at Pearson was 38.3 degrees on August 25, 1948.
However, Pearson only began keeping records in 1937 — a year after an all-time heat record was set in downtown Toronto. So even if today’s high falls short of the all-time record, it will still be one of the hottest days of the past decade.
My co-workers seem to have lost their minds now that popsicles have been stocked up in the fridge. When management runs to the fridge before the workers and then starts talking about the color of their popsicles as if they’re a bunch of 6 year olds, it must be freaking hot. And watching grown-ups sword fight with their popsicles is just funny for some reason.
There was a power outage at work for an hour or more. So we definitely made use of the popsicles. Most people used the downtime to bond and chat or bitch and moan, productive nonetheless.
Ways to Stay Cool
- Dress (or undress) for the heat
- Less is more
- Depending on your dress code at home or at the office going “full monty” could work
- Think cool
- I think therefore I am in a Dairy Queen freezer with a spoon in hand
- Run through a sprinkler
- Someone else’s preferably – We are in a recession & I might need my water!
- Chill at the mall/recreation centre
- Steal an ice cream truck
- Wet your pants (or get someone else to do it – Insults work best)
- Get your drink on!
- “Shot! Shots! Shots! Shots! Everybody!” (Drink responsibly)
- Strawberry Margarita Popsicles (nolagirlsocial.wordpress.com)
- Beat the Summer Heat (blogcritics.org)
- Ontario heat wave breaking temperature records (cbc.ca)
- Welcome Summer with Popsicles! (seesuestitch.wordpress.com)