2016 blessed me with 66 memorable moments of happiness that I was fortunate to be a part of. Here are a few moments that stuck with me.
– Cosplay photo shoots with fun photographers and cosplayers
– Attended a few events and made a few friends (Anime North, Woodstock Spider-Man’s Charity Bday Bash, Centre Island Events, Unplugged Expo, DTAC, and Sean Ward Show’s Christmas Party)
– An Instagram follower made fan art of my Spider-Men suits
– Got 2 custom Spider-Man suits (Punk Amazing Spider-Man & Canadian Spider-Man)
– My friends and I saw Stan Lee at Fan Expo
– Found out I had a few IMDB credits
– Improvised lines with actors and made them laugh on a few projects
– Recorded lines for “Zoolaplex”, “Knights Errant”, and “Realm of Ritualists”
– Chatted with actors and Youtubers
– Caught up with an old friend while we talked for over 3 hours (We’ve learned a lot about each other throughout the year)
– Relaxed on a Nude Beach and made a few friends
– Game Nights with friends
– Had good AirBnB experiences
– Made a custom t-shirt on Tee Public
What’s in your jar?
I know it’s February and all, but I just realized that I hadn’t emptied my Happiness Jar. You know the one from this post, My Happiness Jar. The way I see it, January is the trial period of a new year so I can ease into things properly.
2015 provided me with 88 memorable moments of happiness that I couldn’t forget.
Top 10 (in no specific order):
1. Fun working on set!
- It’s hard not to have fun on set with awesome people. There are way too many stories and jokes on set.
2. Connecting with friends.
- My best friend made me spit out my drink and laugh until it hurt (and I was drinking tea).
- Reunited with a friend I hadn’t seen face to face in 12 years while working on a commercial. We have since had fun working together on a few projects.
- Someone I became fast friends with while working on “Pixels” made me smile when she told me she was “glad that we met and became friends”.
- Attending a Black & White Party with friends.
- I was already wearing a tuxedo while working on set, and my friend was close by so I joined him at this martini-filled tuxedo party. Total coincidence.
- Jokes and shenanigans at a friend’s BBQ.
- I tried “Flash Dance” drinking. Don’t ask.
- Spoiled a friend on her birthday with dinner and movies all night.
- Chatting with an old WordPress friend.
- We haven’t seen each other in a few summers, but we still talk.
- Playing Just Dance with friends.
- Looking silly has never looked so good!
3. Thanksgiving with my Sister’s family.
- Re-connecting with my nephew and nieces over dinner and games.
4. I learned how to play Catan!
- Spent 4 days playing variations of Catan with my friends.
- I also purchased Catan in the Google Play app store (the Computer cheats!!).
5. I built a Room Divider Vocal Booth (my recording space for voice-over auditions and projects).
- Recorded lines for 2 characters in a video game expansion.
- Recorded a cast interview for a voice-over project I got to be a part of.
- Put together a Character Demo Reel.
- Now I have an idea of what I can do, and I will continue to grow.
6. Finally played and beat the Mass Effect Trilogy.
- I played the first game in the series on PC years ago, but never beat it. I bought the Trilogy collection for $22 and became obsessed with it over a month and a half. Female Shepard is so awesome!
7. Married to the Games Podcast (marriedtothegames.com)
- I am so glad that they found me on Twitter. Their family friendly podcast as they put it is about “Kids, wives, and 9 to 5’s but we’re still married to the games”. Every week these guys make me laugh and occasionally they tackle one of my questions/comments on the show, which is a nice surprise. These jokers always make my week.
8. The Scarlet Spiders
- I have 2 costumes. I bought one on Zentai-Zentai.com for Halloween and I bought a Morphsuit on Amazon so I could make my own suit (just in case my order didn’t arrive in time). I had fun crafting this suit made with foam, mesh, Water Shoes, Velcro straps and acrylic paint. I will be sure to wear these suits again at a convention, Cosplay is fun!
9. Fun dates with adventurous women.
- I didn’t do much dating, but I had a few enjoyable days and nights with interesting women.
10. Two tablets at the same time.
- I prefer recording my voice-overs on my tablets since they don’t produce any background noise. I use one for recording and the other displays my script. After one of them fell and broke I ordered a tablet from Amazon, and when it didn’t arrive I got a replacement sent. Low and behold my replacement and the original order arrived together, so I gave one to my friend and we paid the difference.
The Happiness Jar!
Make space for 2015! Let’s see what 2014 had in store.
Last year I decided to start a Happiness Jar (or Gratitude Jar). The idea is to fill it with moments that lifted my spirit, and were fun. So at the end of the day before bed or whenever the urge struck, I would tear off a piece of paper and jot down something that made me smile and feel good. Today I finally emptied that jar to make room for 2015’s entries.
I managed to have 60 moments (err 59, since 1 of them was a duplicate). Most of my happy moments were tied to things I did with friends like “Game Night”, making new friends or reconnecting with old ones. Shockingly, I had quite a few work related moments, and that realization made me smile. Background Acting has allowed me to travel, meet interesting people and experience some fun things, so I can’t wait to see what 2015 holds.
I tried to whittle down my 59 happy moments into a “Top 10 Favourite Moments” pile, and I could only cut the list down to 26 moments. I stopped once it became apparent that my inability to cut my moments down was actually a VERY GOOD thing. The sheer quantity of events, people, and things that I’ve experienced in 2014 couldn’t be paired down because there were so many standout moments worth being thankful for.
I’ve set aside a pen & a bunch of sticky notes just for this year’s jar. Every year is filled with ups & downs, but as long as I can find experiences worth smiling about, things will be more than fine.
LOOKING FORWARD TO 2015!